Saturday, May 9, 2009

Welcome!!!

My name is Jennifer, aka Mama Jenn! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I hope you are able to find some really great books featuring "brown like me" characters! Please continue to check back because I am updating the list regularly!


What exactly is the "Brown Like Me" Book Review?
This is a review of books that my children and I have read with "brown" characters in them. Some of the books I read to my kids and others I didn't feel were appropriate for my kids. But, that is the beauty of it. This is a book review and I will give you my honest opinions about what I/we thought! :-)

How did it get started?
Well, here is the story. One day I was reading a book to my daughter and she got so excited and belted out, "hey mommy, she's brown like me!" At that point I had not really thought too much about how important it was for my daughter to read books about kids/characters who looked like her. Well, her actions clearly let me know that it was important and from that point I decided that I needed to be proactive about selecting quality books for my kids that featured characters who are "brown like me." Hence, the "Brown Like Me" Book Reviews!

3 comments:

Shaunta' said...

Hi Jenn,
Have you found most of these books in the library, or do you purchase them?

Mama Jenn said...

Hi Shaunta'

I have found quite a few of the books at the library, but I have also purchased some as well. As we find books that we really like, I am looking to purchase more. I think it is important for my kiddos to have such books at their fingertips. That way, having the books on hand will not depend on whether or not we make it to the library that week! :-)

Karin Katherine said...

What a great concept. My children haven't commented but very early on I found the need to have a very ethnically diverse at home library for them. Now that I have two girls, I have to say their own personal dolls are pretty diverse too. That is how my family looks so I suppose I wanted that for my children. I'm so glad I found your book reviews. I'm enjoying them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails