Martin's Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

by Doreen Rappaport
Illustrated by Bryan Collier

We read this book in preparation for Martin Luther King Day. This was my first time actively telling the kids about Martin Luther King, Jr. and this is one of the books that we used. I love the illustrations and I love the way that the author highlights some of Dr. King's BIG words, such as, "Everyone can be great" and "Love is the key to the problems of the world." Although I was very impressed with this book, I did skip over a few parts that I felt were more than my kids needed to know about right now. I didn't read the parts about how his house was bombed and people threatened to kill him. Nor did I read about him being assassinated. I simply said that he died. Overall, I really liked this book, especially the illustrations. I think we will be able to read it in full when my kids are a bit older.